Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sneak Thief Finished!

I've finished Sneak Thief, the game I started late in December. I'm really happy how everything turned out. Give it a try! If you like what you see subscribe to my blog. I'm already starting to work on a new game and I'll be posting demo's frequently as I develop.

Here's the link for the Windows installer (installs on desktop):
SneakThief.exe
Or if you prefer the .zip file you can grab it here:
SneakThief.zip

I made this game from the ground up using C++ and SDL (event handling and blitting).
A few things I learned from this game are:
  • Global variable may make code cleaner and easier to work with (we were taught never to use them in university)
  • How to really focus and push through to the end (the last 10% is always the hardest)
  • How to structure game data better
Where am I going from here? I think I'm going to get out of the tile-based games and give a side-scrolling platformer a try. I have a great idea for an adventure game that I've been wanting to start. I also want to learn how to stretch all the images on screen when it is resized (SDL doesn't support that natively).

Here's a video with some in-game footage:

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Finishing a game is an awesome feeling. I'll make some time tonight to play it and tell you what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to what you have to say! I'm a fan of Voxel Heroes by the way. I've been watching it every time you post on r/gamedev.

      Delete
  2. Nice game. I have written a little article about it with an alternative download mirror: http://www.topfree.de/sneak-thief

    I have tried to make my own map, but...when i set a gem and i play the level it's only a blank field!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks for the write up!

      Did you make sure to hit the 'o' key? That's what sets the map size. Make sure that the red lines are past the edge of your level. Also, there needs to be some way to make light in order to see the gem.

      Delete
    2. embarrassing...in the level i forgot the light :D Thank you ;)

      Delete